As the current public health concern involving the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) continues to unfold, we here at TRUE Mentors understand that many of our volunteers and participants are highly concerned. As a precautionary measure in-person TRUE Mentors programs will be suspended until further notice. We have Virtual Programs running through May 31st.
TRUE Mentors is here for you! We have a Laptop Leasing Program available for struggling households. Email Maria@TRUEMentors.org if in need of equipment.
In addition, we are aligning available volunteers for the following virtual roles through May 31st:
Homework Helper: So many of our participants are struggling with their assignments and could use 1:1 assistance in all subjects including Math, Science, Reading. Writing, Social Studies, and more. Volunteers work with assigned participants by availability up to 3x per week for 1-hour help sessions via zoom.
Isolation Buddy: Like a lot of us, our participants are feeling cut off from their usual social circles. Isolation buddies are volunteers available to connect online or via phone for up 1 hour or more to play games, talk, or share in an activity.
If interested in either role, please email Maria@TRUEMentors.org.
Below is a list of resources useful for all participants, guardians and volunteers:
Meal services for Hoboken students
- The Hoboken school district will provide breakfast and lunch for all students who qualify for free and reduced lunches. Meal service will be available for pickup from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. and will be held at the 9th Street side door of the Hoboken High School cafeteria.
- Jersey Mike’s Subs at 202 Hudson Street will be providing free kids meal Monday-Friday from 11am-2pm for all students.
- The Hoboken Food Pantry is currently helping those experiencing food insecurities. For confidential support: 551-285-6555 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meal services for Jersey City students
- All Jersey City students under the age of 18 can pick up free meals at a school nearest their home between 9 am and 12 pm
Meal services for NJ students
- Free Good and Cheap Cookbook
- Here is a list of restaurants offering free lunches to students while K-12 schools are closed.
Hudson County New Jersey food pantries
- Learn how to get free food, meals, clothing and more from Jersey City and Hudson County food banks and pantries.
Educational and Fun Learning from Home
- Microsoft extends access to Minecraft: Education Edition and resources to support remote learning
- Free, easy science for remote learning
- SmartMusic is a web-based suite of music education tools that support efficient practice, helping musicians to develop and grow.
- ClassDojo helps you instantly communicate and engage with all families and students, so you can keep building relationships while school is closed. It is 100% free, and you can get set up in minutes.
- Education Companies Offering Free Subscriptions due to School Closings: Amazing Educational Resources
- Scholastic Learn at Home. Day by day projects to keep kids reading, thinking, and growing
- Learn a language for Free.
- Daily schedules for students ages 2-18 to keep them learning.
- Big History Project: 13.8 billion years of history.
- Visit Dr. Seuss’s Word Challenge
- Brainbox Games
- Storyline Online
- Mouse Circus: The official Niel Gaiman website for younger readers
- San Diego Zoo Kids
- Houston Zoo webcams
- Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Gardens Facebook live everyday at 3pm
- Georgia Aquarium webcams
- Metropolitan Museum of Art MetKids
- Internet Archive is a FREE non-profit library of millions or free books, games, music, websites, software and more.
- TypeRacer– the global typing competition.
- The CoronaVirus explained to children
- Virtual Museums Tour
- How to Keep Kids Learning When They’re Stuck at Home– For Guardians
- How to Work from Home with Kids Around– For Guardians
- Tips on working from home with children– For Guardians
- At-home activities for kids
Free Wifi for 60 days
- Major cable providers in North Jersey are offering free high-speed internet service to households with schoolchildren that cannot afford the service. To enroll in Optimum’s free service, call 866-200-9522, ask for the sales department and let them know you wish to qualify for the free service. To enroll in Spectrum’s, call 844-488-8395. The companies, once they approve the free service, will deliver the equipment needed to access the internet and Wi-Fi.
Free Online Meetings
- This article is to help those interested in Zoom’s program to lift the 40-minute time limit for FREE online meetings.
Federal & NJ State Laws & Resources
- New Rules Issued for Sick Leave in New Jersey
- Note: anyone working part-time, or full-time in NJ is eligible for up to 40 hours of paid sick leave after working 120 days.
- Parking tickets given for parking in front of hydrants and blocking sidewalks will be suspended, any expirations and previous tickets issued have a 2 month extension.
- NJDOL Benefits and the Coronavirus (COVID-19): What Employees Should Know
- Financial Assistance for Renters in New Jersey
- Information about expanded Unemployment benefits and paid leave rights. For questions please reach out to Assemblywoman Annette Chaparro.
Crisis Response Resources
May is Mental Health Awareness Month. Just because we are indoors, doesn’t mean we should take care of our inner selves. Here is a list of available resources in these trying times.
- NJ Mental Health Cares Hotline: 1-866-202-4357
- NJ Suicide Prevention Hopeline: 1-855-654-6735
- NJ Crisis Text Line: Text “NJ” to 741741
- NJ Family Helpline: 1-800-843-5437
- NJ Vet 2 Vet: 1-866-838-7654
- NJ Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-572-7233
- NJ Coalition Against Sexual Assault (NJCASA) Hotline: 1-800-601-7200
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233 or Chat @ thehotline.org
- Women’s Referral Center: 1-800-322-8092
- NJ Child Abuse Hotline: 1-877-652-2873
Grief Counseling Resources
For any questions, please email Maria Lara at email@example.com.