Becoming a Mentor
TRUE Mentors is Hoboken’s only one-to-one mentoring program matching children ages 7 – 17 (or through high school senior year) with adult mentors in the same community. We recognize the value of forming healthy, strong relationships.
Young girls are paired with female mentors while boys are paired with male mentors. Teens, as part of the Teen Internship Program (TIP), are also paired with a mentor who guides them.
Wondering whether you’d be a good TRUE Mentor?
Here is an overview of some of the requirements:
- 18 years or older
- Live in or around Hoboken, NJ
- Willing and able to commit a year to a relationship with a mentee
- Willing and able to spend a minimum of 8 hours per month with a mentee
- The desire to change the course of a child’s life as well as their own!
TRUE Mentors will interview you, train you and help you get a background check.
Mentor position overview:
This position intends to engage the mentee by establishing and maintaining a meaningful relationship. The primary goal of this is to form a one-on-one relationship that provides support and help in reaching the youth’s potential.
- Spend time with mentee on activities that both of you enjoy
- 1 Year Commitment
- 8 hours per month
Interview, training & background check:
- 45 minute in-person interview – prior to attending the interview, please fill out the online application (see below)
- 2 Hour Training (Saturday)
- Background Check – fee required (financial assistance is available upon request)
Coordinate match activities:
- Text/phone call/email with family & mentee and keep in contact between activities.
- 30 minutes per month, depending on family and age of mentee.
Duties of the position:
- Go through all prior training & screening before being matched including an in person interview & background check.
- Pursue relationship at the very beginning and set expectations.
- Plan creative and mutually enjoyable activities with mentee & family which both of you enjoy for at least 1 year and minimum of 8 hours in a month.
- Maintain relationship with mentee and family between times, especially at times when you are not able to meet.
- Communicate frequently and share issues with relationship manager, including completion of the monthly survey and responding to all emails.
- Attend ongoing training and events to learn as a mentor.
- Support and take support from other mentors and relationship managers on new ideas by attending mentor events and group activities.
- Keep trying new things with mentee to strengthen relationship.
Requirements of the position:
- Should be at least 18 years of age and live in Hoboken or surrounding area.
- Ability to commit to 1 year in the program
- Should be able to attend a 1 hour interview, 2 hour training, and get background check before being matched along with any other required screenings.
- Willing to form meaningful relationships and put effort into establishing this relationship.
- Should be a strong communicator.
- Should be reliable to build trust with mentee & family.
- Open to trying new things with mentee.
- Able to see potential in others and encourage them towards it.